Intro Flight for AH-64D
The intro flight is a newcomer's first familiarization flight. Its purpose is mainly to make sure all technical things work, make the newcomer feel welcome, go through some radio stuff and have some fun. It's not that important to learn any particular skills during the flight. That can come later. This article describes the content of the sortie. A newcomer is welcome to practice any moments before, but there is no requirement nor expectation to do so.
However, all newcomers are expected to have gone through the Technical Checklist carefully, before the flight. This step is important. You're more than welcome to ask for help if you have any issues following the guide, but please don't ignore any of the mandatory steps.
Brief description of the sortie
- Meet up on Teamspeak.
- Make sure TS and SRS works, including all three PTT buttons (One for TeamSpeak, and for SRS, be sure to set both "Push To Talk - PTT" and "Special Intercom Select & PTT").
- The 1 minute version of what MA is and what we do.
- Briefing. Quickly go over what we will do in the flight and look at the map.
- Set up "kneeboard folder" and add the Startup kneeboard located here and Intro-kneeboard located here to the right.
- Disable Labels
- Go through startup with instructor as CPG (See kneeboard)
- Loadout: 4xAGM-114 2xM261 (M151 HE) and 300rsd HEDP
- Enter HA/BP/TGT's (activate AI JTAC)
- Instructor starts up own helicopter.
- Go through/Perform "VMC Level Acceleration Takeoff" (p.233 in the Quick Start Manual)
- Tac channel check-in (Report “2!”)
- Fly to HA1, Go through/practice formation flying and "buddyspike" calls (“Buddyspike, angels 12!”).
- Go through Fence In/Out procedures and Fence In at HA1.(Report “2, fenced in, [fuelstate]!”)
- Fly to BP1, Go through/practice "Rifle", "Splash"/BDA calls and engage trucks (TGT 1).
- Fly to BP2, Engage buildings (TGT 2) with AGM-114 using AI JTAC to lase. (Report “Rifle!")
- Fence out (Report “2, fenced out, [fuelstate]!”)
- Land att FARP
- Short debriefing, going through what we just did and how it went. Some pointers on how to continue.
- Invitation to Discord Rookie-group.