This page will explain the steps you need to take to prepare your computer for DCS flying with Master Arms.
Download the correct DCS client
We are using the latest DCS Open Beta client. This is not the same as the Stable version. Do not miss this step. If you don't understand, please ask us. This takes time so it has to be completed well in advance before the first flight.
Get DCS Open Beta here: https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/downloads/world/beta/
If you already have the Stable client version, you can instead change version by performing these steps:
- Start a command prompt, i.e press Win+R, type cmd and press Enter.
- In the command prompt, navigate to DCS install directory and then into the folder "bin".
- Run this command: DCS_updater.exe update @openbeta
If you are running DCS through Steam
You can switch to DCS Open Beta in Steam by following these steps:
- Right click the game in the library.
- Click "Properties".
- Click "Betas".
- Select "openbeta" from the dropdown.
- Click "Close".
- Wait for the download to complete.
Download and configure Teamspeak
Teamspeak is used to hang out and talk to each other, perform briefings and debriefings, and sometimes for comms within "flights" (group of 2-4 aircraft), if preferred over SRS.
Get Teamspeak here: https://teamspeak.com/en/downloads/
- Under Tools/Options/Capture: Setup a push-to-talk button (LCtrl, or any other button of choice). Do not use voice activation.
- Under Tools/Options/Hotkeys: Setup a push-to-talk button on your HOTAS/Joystick. (Recommended: Any direction on a four-way switch on your throttle)
- Connect to TS.MASTERARMS.SE:1337 using the Master Arms default password.
Download and configure SRS
SRS is an external software used for comms when flying, simulation radio communications more realistically.
Get SRS here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=169387
- Set Speaker Boost to something between 10-20 dB or as preferred.
- Under Settings: Set Radio Switch Works as PTT to ON. Recommended: Set Radio 1 Audio Channel to Both, and Radio 2 Audio Channel to Right.
- Under Controls: Bind "Radio 1" and "Radio 2" (not ones called "PTT") to two different HOTAS buttons. (Recommended: Any two directions on a four-way switch on your throttle, not conflicting with your TS PTT button)
- Under Favourites: Create a server entry with Name: Master Arms, ServerAdress: SR.MASTERARMS.SE, EAM Coal. Pass: blue
- Set Options / Gameplay / Easy Communication to OFF.
- Set Options / Gameplay / Wake Turbulence to OFF.
- Set Options / Gameplay / Labels to OFF (or press RShift + F10 in the game to toggle labels off).
- Set Options / Misc / Battle Damage Assessment to OFF.
- Set Options / Special / DCS-SRS / Show DCS Overlay by Default to OFF (or press LCtrl + LShift + ESC in the game to toggle SRS overlay off).
Optional, highly recommended steps
Though the website forum and the Teamspeak server are the formal places of communication, in practice, the daily chatter, much of the mission planning and such happens on our Discord server. It's highly recommended that you join and start interacting with the community.
Get Discord here: https://discordapp.com/download
- Connect to our server at: https://discord.gg/hw3Aat4
- Say hello!
TacView is an amazing, free software that let's you look through flights after you exit the mission. It's very useful for analyzing mistakes and learn from them.
Get TacView here: https://www.tacview.net/download/latest/en/
Download Skatezilla's Launcher
This is more a quality-of-life thing than anything else, and it's entirely up to you if you want to use it. Skatezillas app makes updating and launching DCS a little more hassle free and flexible, allowing you to keep multiple configurations (one for VR and one for screen for instance) and such.
Get Skatezilla's Launcher here: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053